- ambition and a desire to succeed
- the ability to work well with others
- knowledge of food production methods
- the ability to use your initiative
- persistence and determination
- sensitivity and understanding
- maths knowledge
- knowledge of human resources and employment law
- foreign language skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
You may specialise in areas like:
- crop spraying and fertilising
- seed processing
- seed milling and mixing
- sheep shearing and dipping
- animal management including hoof trimming
You could also carry out general work like:
- dry stone walling
- drainage work
You could work on a farm.
Your working environment may be physically demanding, outdoors in all weathers and you'll travel often.
With experience, you could move into teaching, training or consultancy.
You could also work for private companies or co-operatives that offer management services to farms.