- leadership skills to manage and motivate soldiers
- excellent verbal communication skills
- thinking and reasoning skills for making quick decisions
- persistence and determination
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- concentration skills and fast reactions
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- the ability to work well with others in a team
- knowledge of public safety and security
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
You could work in a combat role as:
- an infantry platoon commander leading a team of trained soldiers on operations
- a helicopter pilot officer with responsibility for your crew and ground troops
- a tank troop officer in charge of men and their vehicles
- an artillery troop officer leading a team of soldiers
You might work in medicine and healthcare as:
- an adult nurse caring for injured soldiers
- a dental officer for army personnel and their families
- a veterinary officer working with military animals
You could also be:
- a logistic troop commander managing the supply of things like petrol and ammunition
- an engineering troop commander managing engineering projects
- an intelligence officer specialising in intelligence and security
- a military police officer managing military police soldiers
- a chaplain giving support and guidance to soldiers and their families
You may need to wear a uniform and protective clothing.
You could work be based overseas, at a military base or in a warzone.
Your working environment may be physically and emotionally demanding and outdoors in all weathers.
With training and experience, you could rise up through the ranks from lieutenant to captain, major, colonel and beyond.
On leaving active service, you could use your skills, qualifications and experience to go into a new career, for example in management, planning or teaching. The Officers' Association gives advice and support to officers on finding a career outside the army.
You'll find more details about careers in the army, training and how to join through Army Careers.Powered by Pathways.