- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- administration skills
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be flexible and open to change
- maths knowledge
- excellent verbal communication skills
- sensitivity and understanding
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages confidently
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- dealing with sales invoices, income, receipts and payments
- preparing statements showing income and payments
- completing VAT returns
- checking that accounts are accurate
- preparing wages and managing claims for expenses
- helping to prepare annual accounts
- using computerised accounting systems
- giving administrative support to accountants
- handling commercially sensitive and valuable information
You could work in an office.
With experience and training, you could become an accounting technician and take on more complex work.
You could also become self-employed and set up your own business.
You may decide to take a degree and qualify as an accountant.