- knowledge of building and construction
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- knowledge of English language
- analytical thinking skills
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- thinking and reasoning skills
- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- working closely with architects, designers, builders and engineers
- suggesting ways to make building projects more cost effective
- carrying out site inspections
- writing inspection reports and issuing completion certificates
- surveying unsafe buildings, giving advice or approving their demolition
- authorising entertainment licenses and checking safety at public venues and events
You could work in an office or on a construction site.
Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers and at height.
With experience, you could specialise in a particular area like fire safety, or move into technical and planning roles in other departments, for example town planning.
You could also work as a consultant.