- the ability to work well with your hands
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- excellent verbal communication skills
- knowledge of manufacturing production and processes
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- maths knowledge
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- talking with clients about cake design ideas
- creating designs and decorations, and drawing sketches to show clients
- baking cakes to order
- writing messages on cakes using icing
- putting pre-baked cakes and decorations together
- setting up, clearing away and cleaning baking equipment
- checking stock levels and buying ingredients
- promoting the business and keeping accounts
You may need to wear protective clothing.
You could work from home or at a store.
Your working environment may be dusty and cool.
With experience, you could start your own business.
You could also teach cake design.
You can get more details about working in the food and drinks industry from Tasty Careers.Powered by Pathways.