- knowledge of building and construction
- maths knowledge
- leadership skills
- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- business management skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- excellent verbal communication skills
- customer service skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties might include:
- putting together plans and estimates, including budgets and timescales
- preparing and presenting documents for tender
- contributing to work planning, and briefing project teams, contractors and suppliers
- gathering information together for invoicing at the end of the project
- supplying information to resolve any disputes
- identifying areas for improvement
You could work at a client's business, on a construction site or in an office.
With experience, you could progress to general construction management, consultancy or become a company director.
You could also move into support services, like health and safety inspection, or you could use your contracting knowledge to move into other sectors.