- a desire to help people
- the ability to teach pupils how to do something
- knowledge of psychology
- physical fitness and endurance
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to work on your own
- customer service skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- assessing people's fitness and creating personal exercise programmes
- demonstrating activities, exercise machines and weights
- helping people exercise safely
- leading group exercise classes like circuit training or aerobics
- giving advice on healthy eating and lifestyle
- keeping records
- following health and safety guidelines and maintaining equipment
- marketing your classes
You could work in the community, at a school, at a health centre or in a park.
Your working environment may be physically demanding.
You could take further training to become a personal trainer or teach extra activities.
With experience and qualifications, you could become a senior instructor or manager. You could also start your own fitness club.