- customer service skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- persistence and determination
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- building good working relationships with brokers and other agents
- being responsible for several business accounts
- promoting new insurance products, working to agreed sales targets
- setting up meetings to develop new business accounts
- managing business pitches
- working with insurance underwriters to adapt policies
- setting up claims handling teams and contact centre support for new policies
- monitoring agents’ sales performance
- developing marketing literature
- giving advice on existing products
- making sure that agents meet strict financial services industry rules
You could work in an office or from home.
With experience and a good track record, you could be promoted into a senior sales or marketing role. You could also move into area management or senior management, supervising other managers and planning company strategies.
You could also use your skills in other industries in sales, marketing or account handling.
You can find out more about working in insurance from the Chartered Insurance Institute and Discover Risk.Powered by Pathways.