- customer service skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- persistence and determination
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- gathering information from clients to assess their insurance needs and risk
- researching insurance policies
- arranging insurance cover for clients, and submitting details to insurers
- negotiating the best policy terms with insurers
- renewing or changing existing policies
- making sure the cover and paperwork you provide meets legal requirements
- collecting premiums and processing accounts
- advising customers who are making a claim
- keeping records using IT systems
- issuing documentation
- preparing reports for insurance underwriters and surveyors in complex cases
You could work in an office.
With experience, you could move into account handling, claims broking or a business development role.
You could specialise in an area of insurance, progress into management, or move into other types of insurance work like loss adjusting, underwriting or compliance.
You can find out more about working in insurance from the Chartered Insurance Institute and Discover Risk.Powered by Pathways.