- customer service skills
- maths knowledge
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- ambition and a desire to succeed
- the ability to use your initiative
- analytical thinking skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- knowledge of English language
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- advising clients on the homebuying process
- finding out about your client's finances
- explaining the different types of mortgage
- explaining about repayments and mortgage protection
- offering a number of mortgage options for the client to choose from
- selling related financial products like buildings or life insurance
- helping the customer complete the mortgage application
- meeting sales targets
- dealing with estate agents, valuers and mortgage lenders
- keeping up-to-date with new mortgage products and any changes in the law
You could work at a client's business, in an office or at a client's home.
With experience, you could manage a team of mortgage advisers, or you could choose to become a self-employed independent adviser.
You could also take further qualifications to become a financial adviser.