- design skills and knowledge
- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- analytical thinking skills
- persistence and determination
- the ability to use, repair and maintain machines and tools
- thinking and reasoning skills
- the ability to work on your own
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- discussing what your client wants
- investigating how existing products work or how services are used
- developing ideas and making initial sketches or outline plans
- deciding on suitable materials or resources
- using computer design software to produce detailed blueprints
- making samples or working models, known as prototypes
- testing and refining designs
You could work in a workshop, in a creative studio or in an office.
With experience, you could progress to senior designer, then creative director.
You could also move into project management or design management.
You can find out more about careers in product design from Creative Choices.
You can get more information on working in creative careers from Discover Creative Careers.Data from National Careers Service.