- physical fitness and endurance
- persistence and determination
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- concentration skills and quick reactions
- active listening skills and the ability to work in a team
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- thinking and reasoning skills for making quick decisions
- physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
You'll have a specialism like:
- landing craft officer, planning and leading beach assaults
- signals officer, overseeing radio communications
- heavy weapons officer, in charge of weapons deployment and tactics
- weapons training officer, advising on the use of small arms and training snipers
- Special Boat Service (SBS) officer, carrying out special missions
- mountain leader, leading and instructing commando troops in mountain exercises
- intelligence officer, collecting, coordinating and interpreting intelligence reports
- pilot officer, flying aircraft and helicopters
- physical training and sports officer, developing and supervising training
- staff duty officer, dealing with administration, training, planning and logistics
You may need to wear a uniform and protective clothing.
You could work in a warzone, at a military base or on a ship.
Your working environment may be physically and emotionally demanding and outdoors in all weathers.
You'll find more details about how to become a commando from the Royal Navy.Powered by Pathways.