- customer service skills
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to use your initiative
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- persuading and negotiating skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
In this role you could:
- serve and advise customers
- unpack and sort new stock deliveries
- arrange goods in displays and on shelves
- rotate and replace stock
- promote products
- take cash and card payments and make sure the till balances
- deal with customers wishing to return items, refund payments and log details manually or electronically
- meet sales targets
- keep the store clean and tidy
You may need to wear a uniform.
You could work at a store, in a stock room, at a garden centre or at a garage.
Your working environment may be physically demanding and crowded.
With experience you could become a retail supervisor, manager or departmental manager.
You could specialise in customer services or buying merchandise. You could also set up and run your own independent shop or stall.