- broadcasting and telecommunications knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- maths knowledge
- knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to work well with others
- ambition and a desire to succeed
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- setting up communications and data networks
- installing aerials or satellites
- laying and testing underground and underfloor cabling
- finding and fixing faults
- designing, building and testing components and equipment
You may need to wear safety clothing and use safety equipment.
You could work at a client's home or at a client's business.
Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers, at height, you'll travel often and cramped.
With training and experience, you could move into supervisory roles, network design or electronic engineering.
You could set up your own installation and repair business.
You can find out more about careers in engineering from Tomorrow's Engineers.Data from National Careers Service.